Monday 5 May 2014

03/05/14 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 76lb 10oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 6 Perch, 3 Skimmers, 1 Tench, 1 Rudd, 1 Roach
Weather - Bright & sunny
Match - Open - 1st out of 11

Today was the first of three days fishing this bank holiday and I making the most of it because I’m likely to be very busy at work next month which is likely to reduce my fishing opportunities, so no mid-weekers or evening matches this summer.

It was nice to turn up to the fishery, with no wind or rain and the prospects of a nice day weather wise. Peg 15 was home for the day which has been pretty consistent peg for while so more than happy.  To my right was Rod Wootton on p17 and Martin Pettifer to my left on p13. Martin wasn’t very happy because his swim was covered in white fluffy blossom, which extended into Vic Bush’s swim on p11. As for my swim the covering of blossom wasn’t quite as thick and was for hoping a bit breeze to blow the stuff away.

Prior to the match reports suggested that the skimmers had been spawning and as I was setting up there was some silvers thrashing about in the margins, but no carp, so hopeful they would be willing to feed. Since the fishing can be awkward at this time of year, I decided to hedge my bets, so meat was deposited at 5m to my right and caster at 8m. Across by the island 4s & 6s were feed to the left and half a cup of caster slightly to my right. Starting on double caster, other than a liner I had no bites after 15mins, in fact no one did, which wasn’t a good sign. A switch to the left hand side and the float buried straight away and 10mins later an 11lber was safely netted, followed by a 4lber. However it was really slow going.

A look over the caster line only produced a perch, in the meantime Rod was targeting the skimmers and was struggling since the fish weren’t feeding. I kept feeding meat at 5m, plus potting meat/caster by the pallet of p16 for later.

For the next couple of hours I decided the best opportunity of catching was targeting the island. I had been catapulting 6s across, but it didn’t seem to be working properly and found it best to cup in a small amount of pellet. By fishing 8mm pellet, I periodically kept putting carp in the net, plus a big skimmer and a tench to keep me ahead of those around me.

So far neither the meat line nor margin had produced and the pellet line at 12m which I had fed regularly with micros & 4s only produced a small skimmer. Back on the far line, the fish appeared to have backed off completely, so decided to revert back to feeding caster, which produced a couple more carp, but the blossom was becoming a problem.

A switch to the margin on double caster produced 3 carp, plus a few perch and then I finished with 3 carp on meat at 5m.

Overall a tough day when the fishing hadn’t been as good as in previous weeks, but that’s understandable due to the time of year.

1st 76-10 – Ken Rayner – p15
2nd 64-14 – Andy Hembrow – p7
3rd 62- 5 – Mike West – p24
4th 52-12 – Chris K – p1
5th 45- 6 – Rod Wootton – p17
6th 42- 9 – Martin Pettifer – p13

Silvers
1st 18- 7 – Andy Hembrow – p7
2nd 11- 4 – Rod Wootton – p17
3rd 8- 8 – Ken Rayner – p15
3rd 8- 8 – Vic Bush – p11

No comments: